Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 22: St. Patrick's Day Special: Corned beef and cabbage


Happy St. Patrick's Day! This will be my first St. Patrick's Day meal. I got this recipe from Rachael Ray.





  • 2 packages corned beef in brine

  • 2 fresh bay leaves

  • 6 carrots, peeled and halved across

  • Celery heart, trimmed and halved across

  • 4 small to medium yellow onions, halved

  • 6 russet potatoes, peeled or whole Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

  • Salt

  • 1 teaspoon sugar, divided

  • 1 head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges






  • In a large Dutch oven, place the corned beef, bay leaves and brine from the package and cook according to package directions.


    About 45 minutes before the meat is done, add carrots, celery heart, onions and potatoes to another Dutch oven, add 2 inches of water, a drizzle of EVOO, some salt and a sprinkle of sugar. Top with cabbage, another drizzle of EVOO, salt and another sprinkle of sugar. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, reduce to low and steam for 45 minutes. Platter the vegetables alongside sliced corned beef.




    What we thought:


    Jimmy rated this a 8/10. I would rate this a 9/10. I've never cooked corned beef before and I had some complications with this meal. The recipe called for two dutch ovens. I don't even have one! I ended up putting the beef in the crock pot, cooked for 4 hours, and put the vegetables in a pot and let it steam for about an hour. It turned out great! Through all the confusion and adjustments, it ended up tasting good so thats why I would rate this a 9/10. I may make this again on a St. Patty's Day.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment