Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 19: Crispy South West Chicken Burrito


I am leaving the house for a week, so I am trying to use up a lot of the food in the fridge and pantry. I am looking forward to this meal because it reminds me of the grilled stuffed chicken burrito which you can get at Taco Bell. I havnt had the GSCB in ages because I found out it has like 400 or so calories in one burrito. I am going to try to make this with the fewest calories possible.


What you will need:



1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 red or green pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese
Sour cream (optional)
1/2 enchilada sauce (optional)
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas

Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open.
Place on a greased baking sheet and very lightly rub top of burrito with vegetable oil.
Bake until just starting to get golden brown. While they cook, warm the enchilada sauce.
Spoon warm enchilada sauce on a plate, place baked burrito on top, add a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro

(i heated the oven to 400 and left them in for 5 minutes. I didn't want them to get too brown. I wanted them just crispy enough.)



What we thought:

First off, I forgot to add the lime UNTILL I was done with the burrito. Jimmy says he would rate this a 8/10 . I think he was looking for that Taco Bell sauce taste. I would rate this a 9/10 because I found this kind of "fresh" and healthy. It would have been even "fresher" if I had added that darn lime! I did not add the enchilada sauce, and I used a yellow onion instead of the green onion. I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on top of the burrito and added a dollop of sour cream as well. I will make this again, except i may drizzle enchilada sauce next time, then bake for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment