Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 17: Black Bean, Corn and Turkey Chili



Its second nature to me to replace beef with ground turkey when I make chili. You can use ground beef if you wish, but ground turkey is so much healthier and tastes just as delicious! If you are trying to cook on a budget, this is wallet friendly.




What you will need:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound ground turkey

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock

1 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa

1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (about 16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained

Get Cookin' Ya'll!

1. Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Cook until the turkey is well browned, stirring often to separate meat.

2. Stir the stock, salsa, sugar, beans and corn in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling

I also made a batch of corn bread. I just went by the directions on the box.



What we thought:

So I would rate this a 5/10. Jimmy says this was a 9/10. I think my expectations are too high. It was easy though, healthy, and budget friendly. So i guess that can bump it up to a 6. I was also kind of sick when I was eating this, so that could be a factor. When I had this as leftovers, it did taste more of a 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment