Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 10: Chicken Jambalaya


Since the Saints won the Super Bowl && Mardi Gras is coming up, I figured we'd have what New Orleans is famous for (or what I think of when I think of New Orleans cuisine),Jambalaya.


What you will need:


1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 cup chopped green bell pepper

2 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 cup uncooked long-grain rice

2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

6 ounces andouille sausage, chopped

2 tablespoons sliced green onions



Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in bell peppers and next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through black pepper); saute 1 minute. Add rice; saute 1 minute. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minute. Add chicken and sausage; cover and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.



What we thought: Jimmy and I both came to a conclusion that this was a 8/10 rating. I made a mistake when buying my chicken. When I went to the store, I was buying the ground turkey for the Thai wraps and I had "ground meat" stuck in my head, so I bought ground chicken instead. It still tasted good. We will most likely end up making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment