Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shrimp Fra Diavolo


My Grandpa went to a cooking lesson and got a few recipes, and this recipe was one of them. I tried his leftovers and it was pretty good. So I decided to make my own and see how it went. Not too shabby!
1/2 oz ladle Olive Oil (We used EVOO)
10 ea Shrimp, 31/40 peeled and deveined (we used frozen w/ tails on)
2 oz diced onion (we probably used too much, lol)
1/2 tsp Garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 oz White wine or sweet vermouth (we used chicken stock instead)
2 oz ladle Tomato Sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 oz ladle heavy cream
2 tablespoons parmeasan cheese
1 table spoon butter
1 tablespoon chiffonade basil
1 pinch salt && pepper
7 oz cooked pasta (we used wheat pasta)

Heat oil in saute pan, add shrimp and cook halfway. Remove from pan
Add onions and saute to translucent
Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute
Add wine and simmer for 15 seconds to burn off alcohol (if you use alcohol)
Add tomato sauce, sugar and cream, let reduce by 1/3
Add shrimp and half of cheese
Add butter and mix
Season with basil, salt and pepper
Add hot pasta to pan and toss well


What we thought:
We really enjoyed this. I contemplated using light cream to have less calories, but I decided to go by the recipe this time around and next time maybe make some adjustments. Jimmy rated this a 9/10 and I would rate this a 9/10. It would have been perfect 10/10 if I had gotten shrimp without the tails. Very yummy! We will make this again for sure!

1 comment: