Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 28: Homemade Sushi






I've always wanted to make sushi, but when Bobby Flay had a throwdown with a sushi restauranteur, then I really got in the mood to make sushi. When I visited the grandparent's house, Opa taught me how to make sushi, and it is quite easily to say the least.






Opa had made the rice. Here are instructions on how to make the perfect sushi rice: http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm







The second day, I had prepped the vegetables and cream cheese for the rolls. We used: cucumber, carrots, avocado, crab meat, cream cheese, seaweed, and rice. You will want some water to line the end of the seaweed so it will stick when you roll the roll up. I did a different variety of rolls with the ingredients we used. I used the cucumber, avocado, carrot, and cream cheese. When I didn't use cream cheese, I used the crab meat. Then sometimes I used all ingredients in one roll!







Remember:



Opa says shiny side up, but both sides looked shiny to me, but I noticed the shiny side up was also the rough side up. To me, the shiny side was also the rough side.



Squeeze the roll so the ingredients wont escape the roll.



Use a very sharp knife to cut. I did a "saw" motion when cutting the roll. We switched from a smooth knife to something like a bread knife, with teeth. That worked very well for me.







I would dip the sushi roll with wasabi and soy sauce.







What we thought:



I think everyone came to a conclusion that the sushi was a 10/10. We will make this again for sure!



No comments:

Post a Comment